Ezra Fitz theory: Blackmailed/searching for A:
Do yourself a favor and read these quotes from Ian Harding on Ezra:
“He’s not a manipulative jerk. I think he truly does love Aria and he truly cares for Emily, Spencer and Hanna. So to what extent we’re going to find out — there’s probably some information-gathering, for whatever purposes he has, certainly, but it’s not like he’s purely using them just to get what he needs.”
“I think that he does love Aria and I’m interested to see what has driven him to do some shady things, but I don’t think he’s a bad guy.”
Okay, my theory on Ezra, I obviously won’t have all the answers and reasons for everything, it’s just the basis of what I think he’s involved in. I’ve been saying this ever since the Halloween episode last year that I think Ezra was blackmailed into joining the A team.
(Before I begin, if you didn’t read this, please do. It’s from the writer herself that Mona was A in the first two seasons, she was also the A that was sending/stalking Alison. So Ezra was NOT A prior to at least S3.)
- Aria is the one that found out about Ezra’s kid (kid at the time). In the winter premiere, A put a “It’s A boy!” basket outside his Ezra’s apartment while they were inside. In 3x17, A tricked Spencer into telling Ezra about his kid, for Ezra to look completely stunned, go to Aria even at the school, get into an argument, then later we see him not even look at Aria, but start to cry. That’s not making sense if Ezra was in on all of this all along. Once he came back, Malcolm pretty much came with for how ever long it was. Ezra went through the process to get custody of Malcolm, only to find out it wasn’t his and again cried. So if Ezra is A, he basically would have known about Malcolm, targeted Aria about it, tricked Spencer into telling him info he already knew, talk to Aria about it, but still not even end up upset/breaking up with her, leaving no point to this, cry about the fact he secretly knew he had a kid, then bring the kid back to Rosewood, take care of him and raise him, do everything he can to keep custody of him, find out it’s not his kid (which he should already know if he’s A and that intelligent) cry again and this is making no sense.
- Halloween train:
- What I think happened, was Ezra got blackmailed/forced into doing something that night, they took Aria as bait to make sure he did it (drugging her/locking her in a box). And if he didn’t do it, they were going to kill her.
- Something with a change of plans happened, right after this you see him talking to Melissa about how Garrett’s going to tell them everything. So Aria was the first one in the box, before Garrett was killed.
- Later, we know Jason (I think anyway, he’s the one that had the stab wound right where Aria pushed the screw driver up at) and a mysterious girl are the ones that picked up the box and were going to throw it over the ledge. Though it was implied Jason didn’t know she was in there (I think), so the girl I’m guessing was Alison or Cece.
- This is face of somebody who looks absolutely terrified that something terrible almost happened to his girlfriend.
- This is the face of somebody who looks so thankful she’s alive and okay.
- It’s so hard to tell if it’s just the way the scene was acted or not, but I remember finding this part strange (episode after the Halloween train). Aria is over at Ezra’s apartment, they talk and kiss, then her phone goes off, and Ezra immediately has a worried look on his face. Then asks nervously:
- This was when Ezra was supposed to be away meeting his kid, but the next episode he was back, so I supposed it could have been in between, but..
Hoodie #1: *spin the bottle* *lands on aria*
Hoodie #2: *lol nope* *don’t think so buddy*
- I think whatever involvement he had, was because Wilden blackmailed him into something. He’s a cop, maybe he blackmailed him with his relationship with Aria? Which is why Ezra went to his funeral? Maybe since he thought Wilden was dead, he though all of it was over.
- Which may be why Ezra started questioning Emily when things started happening again to them.
- Cece was spying/listening in on Ezra. If you watch the clip with Cece in the lair on the phone, it’s the same lair they found in the finale. The person Cece was talking to could have most definitely been Alison, since red coat was at the dance, while Cece (in a black hoodie) was spying on Ezria. Ezra spent the episode grading papers and chaperoning the dance.
- 412: Now, to ME, the way Ezra walked into the lair and LOOKED AROUND, I mean he literally looked around at everything, hit the door upset, then looked at the stuff more, doesn’t make sense. I think either a) he found the lair and is upset and is going to continue to do shady things until he finds out the truth or b) it was his lair, but it was a lair he set up to investigate and catch A. Did this lair look like -A’s lair at all? It was too neat and organize.
- Think about it, Ali/red coat LEAD Spencer to the lair. Then looked through the whole in the wall to spy on them. Why? People that actually believe Alison is the innocent victim that is getting stalked and is afraid are high. Alison, is the most manipulative person. We’ve ALL suspected she’s been the one playing with them this whole time. Is this show really going to reveal that it’s Ezra (while there’s also still for sure a season and a half left) instead of the person this whole show revolves around? And Ezra sends text messages as “kisses”? If it was his lair to investigate A, I think Ali planted those photos of herself and stuff that didn’t belong to him in there to set up him. Leaving the reason why he was upset and looked around.
- So the conclusion, I think Ezra set up his own spot to investigate/search for A. Maybe he knows it’s Alison? So he’s trying to track her down. I think when one of the writers, Oliver Goldstick, said you’ll see a Jekyll-and-Hyde factor with Ezra, it’ll be that he’s going to seem bad in order to get the truth and lure -A out of hiding. Because like Spencer said once, “Sometimes you have to hurt somebody to help them.”.
- Oh, and..
- **I know we are going to see Ezra look bad, but I’m never going to believe he’s a bad guy that’s out to hurt them until we hear the entire story. They make characters do bad things and seem sketchy, but then in the end they were good (Toby, Byron, Lucas..). We’ve been watching Ezra’s character for 4 years. We’ve watched him do nothing but always make sure Aria is happy, we’ve watched him step up for his actions (Noel, Byron), we’ve watched him help people (Mike with the car, Emily with her tutoring and her college eassy, Spencer when she was crying, Hanna when she couldn’t find time to do her homewook, Ella when she was about to get into trouble with helping on Emily’s test). He’s not the guy that PLL is going to try and make him out to be in upcoming episodes. I will be crushed if they go down that road. Ruining a character that people have loved and connected with for so long is brutal. Ruining a relationship that so many people have loved and especially the first relationship that started the show is just awful. They found a way to redeem Toby, they found a way to redeem Garrett, they found a way to even redeem Byron (and the list goes on).**
(look at this cutie)